Sunday 20 December 2009

Fun Saturday Night!

Well let no one say I don't know how to have fun on a Saturday night!

Ben and I had plans to go out for dinner with friends and I was really looking forward to getting dressed up, having some good food and wine and just catching up (especially after our last night out a few weeks ago had been cancelled because of Harry's sick bug, and he now has chicken pox!!!!)

Holly had told me she had a couple of bruises on her leg that morning but I didn't worry because her platelets have been stable ever since her stem cell transplant in July. Also there had been no nosebleeds (another sure sign her platelets are low). Holly called at about 5pm to let me know that she had had a nosebleed, so then I worried. I called the out of hours number and they insisted that Holly was taken straight to A&E to have a full blood count done. As far as I could think, there was only one reason for her platelets to dive dramatically, possible relapse.
I think I drove to hospital on autopilot, convincing Holly (and myself) that it was probably nothing, but in the back of my head wondering, not again? Not just before Christmas? Haven't we been through enough already?

A&E was manic which was not surprising considering the snow and ice. We waited an hour for her bloods to be taken and then had to wait for the results. By 9.15pm they hadn't let us know anything, then I spotted the oncology doctor. My God, why was he here. They must have called him in specially because it was bad news. I actually thought I was going to throw up.

He waved us over and then just calmly told us all her results were fine! He was just the doctor on call and had come down to see a poorly child, had spotted Holly was here and wanted to say hello! The conclusion is - Holly is just clumsy and her nosebleed (only very small when she blew!) was because of a cold.

What a night, my children seem to be conspiring together to stop me having a night out. Ben has promised me I will get to wear my new trousers soon!!!!

I am truly going to appreciate Christmas this year.

1 comment:

  1. Oh u poor thing. U must hav been so worried! So glas Holly is ok. XX

    ReplyDelete