Wednesday 12 August 2009

Becoming Independant!

Holly has had a good week since my last post. The blood counts on Monday were good and we haven't had to make any trips to Lister.
We have had a quiet week as next week is pretty packed. We are in Addenbrookes on Tuesday for our clinic appointment, back again on Wednesday for an injection and a scan and then back on Thursday for a follow up scan. We will have quite a few tests over the next few weeks in readiness for the radiotherapy.

Holly has turned into a teenager. She is watching tv until quite late and then is a total nightmare to get up in the morning. She surfaces about 10.30 (if I'm lucky) and then is ready for her fry-up! Her eating has come on so much in the last week that I am confident we will be stopping the nose tube feeding very soon. Hopefully I can see the dietician at clinic next week and we can decide it isn't needed. I know Holly will be very glad to see the back of it. We have also cut down on the number of meds she is having.
The late nights are going to become earlier nights as we head towards September in anticipation of school. She is expected to be in school from around 8.15am. Looking at the time she sleeps she will need to be in bed at about 6pm!
One of Holly's teachers from her new school is coming to meet us on Friday to have a chat and answer any questions that we might have. They are really positive and I am sure they will support Holly throughout the transition into secondary school.

Going off in a totally different direction, Izzy has now been out of nappies for 2 weeks! I kept putting off doing it because we were in and out of hospital so much. She did it in a day and with only 2 accidents. My main problem now is getting to the potty before Harry as he has a fascination with splashing it all over the place. He is very pleased with himself!

Holly has decided that as she is nearly 12 (!!!!!) I should be giving her some independance. This week she asked if she could walk to the farm shop (5mins round the corner, no main roads) with Sophie from next door (also 12). I agreed with some trepidation. It turned out that the farm shop was shut so they went to the Tesco Express (round the other corner and across a main road). Luckily I found this out after they came back safely.
The next request was to go shopping to Brookfield with Sophie the next day. Sophie's mum would drop them and then collect them after an hour. I said yes, as long as she took her mobile. This was followed by a mass debate as to how much money she could take. She wanted £50!!!!! No way.
The shopping trip went fine. I called her on my way out and she was having fun. I did, however, drive past where she was just to make sure all was ok (she doesn't know this though). It was hard to let her go, I don't know if it would be so tough if she wasn't poorly. Probably would be. We have fought so hard over the last 6 months that I don't want anything to happen to her. On the other hand its wonderful that she is well enough to go and do normal teenage things, and I don't want to stifle that. Being a mum can be tough...

No comments:

Post a Comment