Thursday 4 February 2010

Addenbrookes and Platelets

What a long day!

We arrived at Addenbrookes at 1230pm for a blood test then a meeting with Amos at 2pm. It was always going to be a tough day as we were going to discuss what options we had for Holly's treatment.

After Amos had examined Holly she made it quite clear that she didn't want to be around to hear all the details so took herself off for a lie down and a bit of TV watching in the day unit recovery room. This was better for me because it meant I could fully concentrate on what Amos had to say and try and remember what I wanted to ask. He agreed with me that the oral chemo doesn't seem to have had any effect as Holly has not got any better so we have decided to get straight on with the TVD chemo. This is a mixture of Topotecan, Vincristine and Doxorubicin. We would hope to get a response within 2 courses (there is a 3 week break between courses).
Holly will be admitted on Monday to have a new line put in in surgery. She will then need a GFR test (kidney function test). So long as the results of the GFR are ok we are aiming to start TVD on Wednesday/Thursday next week. The chemo involves a 5day stay in hospital so we are, once again, going to be residents of Ward C2.

The blood results on Tuesday showed Holly's platelets were extremely low so we were not allowed home until she had a top up. This was due at 5.30pm. This was then delayed to 8pm, and then finally delayed until 10pm. Needless to say both Holly and myself were not impressed but we had no option but to stay. We finally got home at 11.40pm, with Holly trying to decide whether she wanted a curry or not when she got home. We decided that probably wasn't a good idea so she compromised and had a pot noodle, yum!

A very tired girl spent most of yesterday in bed recovering.

This week has been hard, tomorrow is exactly one year since we found out Holly had cancer. I think I will spend quite a lot of time thinking what was going on this time last year, not particularly healthy I'm sure, but inevitable.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the day that Holly was diagnosed. I found you in the Chapel crying. We were on day 6 of our big stay gor Gabe's stem cell transplant....and there started the journey of our friendship.

    I wish we had met under different circumstances but we didn't, and as I find myself saying constantly "it is what it is".

    One year on, so much has happened. Holly and Gabe has been through so much. But both are brave and determined.

    We know you can fight this holiday. Stay strong - and make the most of the Bravery Boxes that I have introduced on the Ward and Day Unit. I am currently working on stocking it with rewards for the girls and boys of your age so any ideas would be welcome - I was thinking nail varnish / lip gloss etc (for the girls of course).

    Lots of love to you both

    Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of you both xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete