Tuesday 17 March 2009

Platelets

Well today was another platelet day. Holly seems to need these topping up every week (they help with clotting). Her levels have dropped very low this week and she is also neutropenic (this means she is particularly susceptible to infection). She is feeling fine but a bit disappointed as she cannot be around large groups of children and had been planning to pop into school to say hi to everyone. I have been assured this is totally normal during Hollys treatment.

Due to Lister having no space we had to go to Addenbrookes for the transfusion (queue much smiling from Holly and me!). Although Addenbrookes is a bit further it is a much more efficient, pleasant experience. They know Holly now and we are pretty much waved through.

It was lovely to bump into one of my C2 friends (I regard her as a friend now, I have to say she got me through those first terrifying days when Holly was admitted). You get to know everyone (I think its a woman thing, we just want to share!) and its nice to catch up, either in the ward or in the day unit.

We were home by 4.30pm so Holly decided she wanted to go to dads for Dominos. She seems to be permanently hungry, this is fantastic and is to be encouraged according to the dietician. She has been given permission to eat junk food and whatever she wants, she is definitely taking advantage of this!

Tomorrow is back to Addenbrookes for her GFR test (blood tests to check her kidneys). This takes place over 4 hours so dad is taking her.

I am looking forward to toddler group with Izzy and Harry tomorrow as I haven't been able to take them for ages (thanks nanna for taking them every week). Sis is delighted as it means she doesnt have to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment