Sunday 26 April 2009

And So The Nurse Came....And Came...

We escaped from C2 on Thursday night at about 8.30pm, yay!

Friday was a great day. Holly was feeling fine and Nana came over to stay with her to let me take the Little Monsters to baby group. I love doing this, I can almost pretend that life is normal watching them playing with all their little friends. I can see how much Harry is turning into a proper little man now. He is so happy crawling around and generally doesn't bother where I am. That said, there was a rather scary looking nan there who, when Harry crawled past her, started talking to him. He went stock still for about a minute, staring at her, but then dissolved into tears. I know this wasn't funny but me and Auntie Clare were doubled over in hysterics at him! I thoroughly enjoyed it, even the singing time at the end.

Holly spent the evening at Dad and Kirstys so I decided to make the most of it and go out with my lovely friends, Max, Jane and Julie. The plan was to go out for a few drinks. The best laid plans though... Harry (who is always as good as gold at night, usually) decided that he would wake up just before I was due to go out and have a hysterical scream. Teeth, I decided, so I went in armed with the teething gel. I have now realised that sticking my fingers down his throat after a large bottle of milk and a big dinner is not a good idea (him, not me). He sicked all over me (freshly showered and hair straightened). This was not a good sign and I took it as an omen that maybe I shouldn't be going out (I was feeling really guilty about having a life!). Ben convinced me that I definitely had to go out (the x-box was calling him) and I am so glad I did. It was fantastic to just relax with a few glasses of wine and some great mates. Thanks girls.

Saturday was a day for catching up with shopping and washing. I am very very lucky that, when I am in hospital with Holly, my mum moves in. Therefore when I come back, my house is immaculate. Thank you mum.
Immaculate houses (particularly cupboards) are not my strong point and Ben was very disappointed that, within a day of being back, the kids cupboard (plates and beakers etc) is now a complete mess. As is the baby food cupboard. It was all very neatly arranged into breakfasts / mains and desserts but I have decimated this into a total jumble. Apparently this is not fair on my mum as she cannot see into this cupboard (it is a high one and she is only 4ft 11!) and, sighing, Ben has now restored order.

Hollys insuflon (a bit like a canula for injecting into) in her leg was really sore so we had to call the nurse to come and change it. The community team are great and they came round within the hour. This was fine until, about 2hrs later, Holly managed to knock it out when she was getting changed. The has never happened before and it had to be a Sunday. Cringing, I called the childrens A@E centre and offered to come in to have yet another one put it. They wouldn't hear of it and the nurse came back out to us. There is so much negative press about the NHS but I have to say that, apart from the local hospital, I can't praise them enough.

Tomorrow is quite a big day for Holly. She is due to go back to school for the first time since diagnosis for a few hours. She is really looking forward to it but I know it might be a little overwhelming. We are hoping this will become a regular occurence inbetween treatments as it is so important for her to keep up (on a social as well as a school work basis).

No comments:

Post a Comment