Wednesday 29 April 2009

School, Platelets and Addenbrookes

Well its been a busy few days. Holly was feeling fine on Monday and really looking forward to spending a few hours at school. It was the first time she has been since her diagnosis so I was surprised she was so positive. I took her in at 12.15pm and it was so lovely to see her friends run excitedly over to her. The arrangement was that I was to collect her at 2.15pm unless she decided to stay and she would get the office to call me to get her later. Needless to say I went in at 2.15pm and she said "oh, I'm not coming home now, can you come back?". I didn't mind though, it was wonderful to see her back where she should be, but it was hard knowing that this is no longer her life now.

The nurse came to take Hollys bloods on Tuesday. I thought her levels would be low as she has had some nose bleeds and is very tired. I was right, her levels are very low and she is neutropenic (this means she is very susceptible to infection). As her platelets and HB levels are also low she needs 2 units of blood and a platelet transfusion. Dad took Holly to Lister for her platelets and 1 unit of blood and that took until after 11pm. She then stayed with Dad and Kirsty ready for her trip to Addenbrookes on Wednesday. This was for her GFR test (kidney function). This involves being injected with radioactive liquid and then blood tests at 2/3 and 4 hour intervals. She then had her 2nd unit of blood after, and got home around 8pm. It has been a long couple of days for her but I can see the difference since yesterday. She has much more energy and is in a much better mood today!

I have had a lovely day with the Little Monsters, we had a great time at toddler group this morning and a lovely afternoon with the Little Monster Cousins. Heres hoping the fresh air has knackered them out (it has certainly had that affect on me!)
Tomorrow is a free day (no nurses/hospital) so I am hoping to get a few bits done. We are due back in Addenbrookes on Friday for the weekend and it is also Harrys birthday on Sunday. I can't believe how quick this year has gone and how much has happened. This time last year my biggest worry was how I was going to cope with the night feeds again. I didn't realise how lucky I was.
All being well we are planning a party for Harry on Monday. Fingers crossed we get out and have some sunshine, as I think the BBQ could do with its first outing this year.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Holly, I am glad you managed to get into school and see your friends.

    Kerry, I totally relate to what you say. Taking Gabe to nursery to see his friends at the beginning of our journey was one of the most difficult things I had to do. I hated the fact that his lovely little life had been so rudely interrupted by cancer. One thing I have realised is that keeping up social lives (for both adult and child) is fundamental to surviving the war!

    Love Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Holly, a lovely day at school. Bet lots of fun was had with all your school friends.
    Happy birthday Harry for Sunday. Where has that year gone?

    See you soon

    xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete