Thursday 23 April 2009

In Hospital

We came into ward C2 on Tuesday for round 7 of chemo. The ward was full up when we arrived but after a short time in the day unit we had a bed and the chemo could begin. This round is a 4hr chemo then 24hrs hydration then another 4hr chemo and 24hrs hydration. All being well we should finish by about 7pm on today (Thursday) and then we are allowed home.

Holly was quite disappointed not to be in the dreaded G bay (4 bedded room and can be very cramped) as her friend Jess was still there. As it happens we are in A bay (very nice) and have a tv that stays on after 9pm! (managed to be able to watch The Apprentice, hooray!)
Tuesday night and Wednesday morning were quite tough as Holly was sick a few times and felt very queasy. She was much better by the afternoon though and even allowed dad and Kirsty to visit. I took advantage of this and hopped on a bus (!!!) and went for a wander round Cambridge in the sun. It was wonderful to be out of the hospital but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was "bunking off". I think it was a much needed break for both of us.

Today Holly woke feeling much better and even wanted breakfast straight away (a good sign for the day). She told me in no uncertain terms that she was definitely NOT going to go to school. I didn't argue because I knew what would happen and I was right. The teacher poked her head round, asked Holly if she was coming to school today and Holly, very brightly and politely, said yes, of course! (cue much laughter from me once the teacher had gone). It does her good to get out and about and its only for the morning.

We had some more positive news today, Hollys urine results (where the neuroblastoma was first detected) were right down and almost back to normal, and her bone marrow biopsy results were also much better. Annie (one of the docs) was very pleased and has assured me we are heading in the right direction. She will have one more burst of chemo and then some more scans. When the results of these are in then a decision will be made about surgery. It feels strange to be nearing the end of this first round of treatment because it has been my main focus for the last couple of months. I know I will then have to get my head round what comes next and its quite daunting.

4 comments:

  1. Dear all, lovely to read the latest update, really fantastic news that Holly is feeling better. Let me know when you are all about again for a get together. Hopefully see you Kerry tomorrow night. Enjoy the sunshine.
    All our love always
    Jane, Kev, Amber, Darcy, Angel & Red xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Holly for my lovely Bob book. My mummy is loving your blog and we are all thrilled to know you are feeling better. Keep strong xx

    Love Gabriel xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that news from the doctors is so positive, and that Holly is so keen to attend school. Take care of each other. Love and Luck Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted to hear you are doing so well, Holly.
    I get the update also from your granddad, Michael. Did he tell you my Carmel called her baby Molly and your grandad of course said he was delighted as his dog is Molly!!
    WE have them home this week and we had Claire and her Jack for Easter.A busy boy.
    Our love and prayers are with you.
    John and Margaret Curran XXX

    ReplyDelete